Web service access

May 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Hi...

My problem may not be specific to Statlight, but I'd like to know if someone encountered such issue. 

Some of my unit tests needs to acces a web service located on a specific machine.  Everything works fine locally.  Unfortunaltely, on my build machine, under the a specific windows identity, it's not able to access the web service.  I manually ran statlight under this account and a prompt asking for the Windows account and password occurs during the execution.  If I type the account name and password, the tests succeeds!  Unfortunately, my build is not able to type in such information.

Any idea why, on the same machine, it works just fine under my account, while it prompt windows authentication under my build service account, and works if I type in username and password.

Thanks

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I am going to infer quite a bit here, but it sounds like you have windows authentication setup on your 'web service'. I'm guessing the reason it works for you to access and run it is because you have the necessary windows identity that allows you access the service. While the build machine is running under an account that does not.

When you run on the build server and it prompts you, what are the credentials you put in? It sounds like you need to add the build server into the windows domain/group/entity that you are also in that allows you access to call this web service.

Please note, this is not necessarily the correct/best/most secure option. You may need to consult someone with more security background in regards to this.

Hope this helps.

May 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Edited May 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I put the service account credentials and the web server accepts the call...  So In guess that my service account already has the appropriate permissions to access the service.  I need to understand why a prompt occurs under this account, and not under my account.

Also, I have to tell you that the Silverlight unit test page is also deployed on the same web aite as the web service is hosted and I'm actually able to access the unit tests Page using the service account and the unit tests passed without asking for a prompt.  So what could be the difference between the execution of my unit tests .xap out of the silverlight unit tests page and using Statlight that could bring this undesired behavior?