StatLight & Unit Test Result Viewer for Silverlight - Integration

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Hi, thanks for the review on http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/feeb23d4-9295-4d79-be59-8c12a6f0d79b ! First some answers on your questions ;-) Q: Goals for my project? - Make my daily work easier ;-) (.NET/SL developer) - No need to switch between VS and any browser or other tool - Direct feedback after (re)build or on demand - User friendly way to combine results from multiple test projects at once. Q: Any chance for tighter integration with StatLight? - In my opinion it would be nice to integrate StatLight runtime completly into the toolwindow. No manual software installation would be required. - It would be nice, to enable StatLight to process multiple project xap's at with one command (all found xap's in one dir || a list of xap's) - Processing multiple xap's and one result (xml) - would make it easier for me ;-) and would make it easier for integration any buildserver etc. So that's my first thoughts, what could make life easier for me ;-) Greetz from Germany niels
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Thanks for building your S.L. V.S. integration tool - that feature has been one I would love to have done myself. (However, would rather leverage and make yours better instead...)

Any chance you could either open source your project - or ship it over to me, and I could look to integrate it with StatLight's src? Or do you have other ideas around that?

I could look at a way where you could give StatLight a "list" of xaps, and provide all the results in a single run.

For any updates you'd like to see made to StatLight - feel free to post requests on the "Issue Tracker" here on codeplex.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Hi, after cleaning the code a little bit ;-) I was thinking about providing the sources on codeplex - I will give you an update. Additionally a few question came to my mind: 1.) As your tool is handling not just unit tests from the Silverlight Toolkit, there are maybe some adaptations needed. Currently the location of the .xap is determined via the startup project, I'm not sure whether this is also valid for the other test frameworks. 2.) I would like to keep the way of distribution via the Visual Studio Gallery (update notifications, nice vs integration). Do you also want to include the tool into your package (where an installer would be fine by the way ;-)) - then we should think about a way to track incompatible changes before a new release. Greetz from another timezone niels
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Thanks for the update:

1.) As your tool is handling not just unit tests from the Silverlight Toolkit, there are maybe some adaptations needed. Currently the location of the .xap is determined via the startup project, I'm not sure whether this is also valid for the other test frameworks.

It is most likely valid for many projects, however would be nice to provide many of the other input options StatLight supports within the GUI.

2.) I would like to keep the way of distribution via the Visual Studio Gallery (update notifications, nice vs integration). Do you also want to include the tool into your package (where an installer would be fine by the way ;-))

I agree with you about your project's current distribution model. Works perfectly for that case. I'm not so inclined to create an installer for StatLight - I prefer the simplicity and control of the zip deployment. However providing a UI over the top of silverlight tests is a far future goal I have - something like the NUnit gui runner. However pretty low on my priority and time list.

Have you worked in integration to run a single method at a time? I think it would be nice to wrap a U.I. around this scenario. The StatLight console supports passing specific methods to execute, however it's rather painful to use at the command line. And even though StatLight supports the MS silverlight testing framework "Tag" concept - that isn't supported across the other supported project types (xunit & nunit).

I'm interested working on your project and adapting it to work with wider range of scenarios StatLight supports.

Hope this helps.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:41 AM

I can't seem to find the tool in vs after installation. Am I missing something?

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Hi sky,

In VS select View->Other Windows->Silverlight Unit Test Results. This should open the toolwindow and you can drag it to wherever you want, on next restart then it will be also shown.

regards

niels